- This topic
Help Musicians Student Health Scheme
Being a Musician is both physically and mentally demanding. If a performance-related condition interrupts a musicians studies the impact can be serious.
The Help Musicians Music Student Health Scheme provides access to healthcare quickly. We do this by working in partnership with the BAPAM (British Association for Performing Arts Medicine), an independent charity which offers free health assessments. If you are subsequently told you need a short term treatment that isn't available promptly on the NHS, we may be able to help with a grant of up to £750 towards the costs.
BAPAM - British Association For Performing Arts Medicine
BAPAM is a unique non-profit health care organisation providing specialist support to performing arts professionals and students, throughout the UK.
They can help you whether you are a musician, actor, dancer, singer, stage technician, sound engineer, DJ or variety artist, Sometimes performers have found or been given inaccurate information. Our doctors are experienced at assessing performing artists and can help with accurate diagnosis and advice.
Medical problems that BAPAM can give advice about include:
- Activity-related pain, 'RSI', overuse injuries, tendonitis, carpal tunnel syndrome, tennis elbow, dance injuries, muscular tension, hypermobility, musculoskeletal problems caused by performance technique or posture.
- Voice loss or strain in singers, actors and professional voice users, hearing problems.
- Stage fright, anxiety, stress.
We provide the following services:
- Free confidential health assessment clinics BAPAM's network of expert clinicians around the UK.
- Directory of practitioners We maintain a list of clinical specialists and practitioners in many branches of health care who have experience helping people working in the performing arts.
- Our health resources help you to understand what you can do to keep in peak condition, even though the demands of the job sometimes make this difficult. For example, we can suggest ways you can look after yourself on tour; how to maintain a work-life balance to ensure you can perform at your best.
The counselling service offers professional support for all RNCM students. The service is free and confidential.
Metro Physio advice for musicians
Metro Physio has played a part in keeping some of the city's top performers at their best. Having treated various actors and actresses as well as providing physiotherapy for clients at the RNCM, Chethams School of Music & many travelling productions.
WTF is meningitis?